August 23, 2009
The barn cometh.
Crystal Falls has an old barn, that we ran right through. It was really cool. Kinda alarming. You would go right into it from the sun, it would go completely dark and the only thing you would see is the light of the doorway on the other side. Yow. But, it was really really fun.
It is also about the most awesome course in the entire district.
This was the 2nd time I had raced here. This time it was more than 7 miles around. We did the whole MX track of a really great old school outdoor MX track. A couple of doubles, but mostly big hills table tops and great berms. Then into the woods, then out to a great grass track, then back into the woods, then out to another grass track, then through the barn, then out to another grass track, then back into the woods, then back on the MX track to finish the lap. Very GNCC like, but much tighter in the woods sections.
It took me 2 kicks to get my bike started, so I was last into the 1st turn, but when we left the MX track Jim was in 1st, John right on him in 2nd and me right on John in 3rd. Perfect. The next 3 laps were a huge huge amount of fun. The lead changed about 12 times per lap. We were all 3 right on each other. No one could get an advantage on anyone it seemed.
Unfortunately John and Jim got into a little tussle on the 1st lap. Jim got frustrated with John passing him and Jim cut through the middle of a turn and knocked John down to the ground. I slowed enough to make sure everyone was ok, but then went off on my own. A guy on an old KDX somehow appeared out of nowhere at that time and jumped in front of me. I was ok with that, except he was riding about 11 feet wide. He was impossible to pass. I finally did get around him when he chose a crummy line through the mud hole.
Jim and John made it back to me and as I noted earlier, we traded the lead for the 1st 3 laps. On the 4th lap, John got a front flat and I moved clear of Jim by 1.5 minutes. That is how we finished.
I managed 11th overall, but had lap times of the 7th place guy, but we started 4 minutes behind. Not too shabby.
– My RMZ 250 is the perfect motorcycle. I am convinced. I know the 2010 is fuel injected, and I am looking forward to one of those somehow. But for now, I cannot imagine a better motorcycle. Wow.
– I ran shinny new Pirelli Scorpian mid hards. They were incredible. So much better than the stock Dunlops that came on the bike, which I ran for a bit as I did not have any new Pirelli’s. But OMG.
– I still have about an inch of gas in the bottom of the tank. That is the stock tank, for 2 hours and 1 minute. That thing just does not use much gas.
– The Rekluse clutch is incredible. No stalls, no arm pump (at least from the clutch operation).
– Looking forward to getting my suspension back from Factory Connection. The stock stuff is good, but the rough trail made it tough today.
– The race gas the Mark at Vesrah provided make the RMZ super clean running. No bog, no hesitation, just sewing machine like response from the right wrist.
– After the race, I was showering off with the sun shower, when this little kid asks me “what are you doing?” Washing off. “Why?”, I am dirty. “Are you leaving?”… What is up with that?
Enjoy the photo’s.