If you have been following along this summer, you might remember me blowing up my motor in the National Harescramble race in Rhinelander this summer. I thought maybe I had forgotten to put oil in the motor. Turns out that I had a bearing go bad. Looks like there was oil in the motor, but a bearing just exploded. Could of been my fault.
Mark has put a bunch of effort into tearing the motor down for me. Here is what he found.
The bearing was fused to the crank. Balls had ejected and metal parts were ever.
This motor is going into my harescrambles bike. It will have new cases, a new crank arm, new bearings everywhere on the crank, new rod bearings, new piston and rings, new clutch basket, etc… Effectively, it is an all new motor. So, my frame is not new – but it is in perfect shape. The suspension is off at Factory Connection this week. The wheel bearings are all new. The Magura clutch is being rebuilt at Magura. The GPR steering damper is going back to be rebuilt this week.
Although the bike only has about 40 hours on it, it is really really going to be fresh.
I picked up a small stock size tank on ebay. I found a bunch of posts on the topic of trying to expand a stock tank to get a little bit more capacity. I found stories of people getting about 1/2 gallon more fuel in the tank after working on it with a bit of air pressure and a heat gun. If I can get that, I will be able to make a 2 hour race on the small tank. That will be my local Harescrambles set up.
Once it is all rebuilt and finished, I will put pictures up on site. I cannot wait.
The winter is long here in Wisconsin, but there is plenty of work to be done on gear and motorcycles before the season rolls around. March will be here sooner than we think.